AO: Humpday (LLP)
Conditions: 40s and on the verge a downpour
PAX: Sugar Rush, Jiffy Pop, Mayhem, Rafiki, Green Thumb, Uff-Da (FNG), Banjo, Morpheus, Seahorse, Chernobyl, Smuckers, Songbird, Boogie Man, Dairy Queen (FNG), Allman Joy, Napa, Kramer, Pill Mill, Gerber, Liberty, Bambi, Dumbledore (Q)
F3 Mission: To plant, grow, and serve small workout groups for men, for the invigoration of male community leadership.
5 Core Principles:
- Open to all men
- Held outside, rain or shine, hot or cold
- Led by men who participate in the workout in a rotating fashion, with no training or certification
- Always ends in a Circle of Trust (COT)
- Seal claps x 20
- Toy Soldiers x 15
- Gravel Pickers x 10
- 5 Burpees OYO and 10 pushups OYO
Led the PAX through a series of exercises themed by some of YHC’s favorite thangs…
Some might be fooled by YHC’s snazzy new wristband playbook (weinke holder) but butting heads in the trenches was my favorite thing to do on the football field at Elon – not prancing around avoiding hits like a QB. To relive some of those glory days, the PAX joined me in some football drills:
- OL pancake block – On my cadence, PAX chopped their feet and slowly drove imaginary defenders ~5 yards and pancaked him to the ground, where the PAX immediately executed 10 merkins). The team got tired near the goal line, but we punched it in after 7 rounds.
- Go routes – PAX lined up in a single file line. On the next man’s cadence, the PAX in the front took off on a go route to victory. While waiting for their turn, all other PAX squatted in good OL form and delivered a strong punch to imaginary defenders. Everyone executed 3 go routes.
- Pop-n-drops – PAX lined up on one side of the road, starting on the ground. In cadence popped up to their feet, chopped for a sec, dropped, popped up, dropped again, and sprinted to the other side of the road after popping up the third time. We did this 5 times.
We squeezed in a quick DORA at the LLP pullup bars. Exercises were as follows, with the partners running to the 3rd streetlight (away from the AO) and back.
- 50 Pullups
- 100 Double count mountain climbers
- 150 LBCs
And finally, I love to get out in the great outdoors to fish and hunt, so we ended with what I called Humpday Huntday. YHC got a 3-minute head start to run and hide any place in LLP. The group of PAX had 5 minutes to hunt me down, with the hint that they’d need to use all of their senses. PAX led a Mary during the 3-minute lead time and then were off to the races. YHC had hidden a turkey call in the new weinke holder and used that to call all the gobblers in. 30 burpees would have been the penalty if the group didn’t find me, but Chernobyl hunted me down like a Thanksgiving meal…NO Burpees.
We returned to AO for a few random exercises as the rain just started to kick up.
- Welcomed FNGs Dairy Queen and Uff-Da
- Mr. Incredible is doing his 4x4x48 this weekend
- Give Boogie Man strength through his personal situation and open doors in his job interview
- Be with Rafiki as he makes some big decisions in the coming days
- I wish I had shared more of my experiences with this during our time together, but I’m hoping the PAX picked up on this comment as we were pancaking imaginary defenders during the OL pancake drill — I mentioned after pancaking guys on the gridiron I always made it a point to help the other guy up. I can’t think of a better time than now for all of us to consider more broadly how we can extend mercy, understanding, and/or an open mind to those on a different team, across the isle, or of a difference race, background, or belief system. Also, think about how forgiveness, understanding, and perspective can make a difference in your life or change relationships with those you have in your community. I’m reminded of these things every time a Q mentions core principle 2 – F3 is open to all men. We should realize that we are all the same despite our differences. Dumbledore out!